I am not a crafty person myself, but I love trying out something new! So this week it is all about making something new out of something old.
Here are the 4 main reasons which make upcycling not only fun, but also important;
- Conserves Resources
- Saves energy
- Helps protect the environment
- Reduces landfill
Upcycling is becoming increasingly popular among individuals and groups concerned about climate change. Compared to recycling it does not require energy and resources to collect, sort and process unwanted items and waste.
Finding a new purpose for unwanted items before chucking them away makes Upcycling an even greener way of recycling.
Have you ever upcycled something?
Here are a few ideas what you and your children could upcycle this week;
- Depending on the age of your child or children talk about why it is important to upcyle or recycling and what climate change is.
- Make a set of bowling pins out of old water bottles – fill them up with sand and start bowling
- Make a basket from newspaper – watch the video below
- Fill a plastic box with toilet rolls and plant Alfalfa sprouts, which grow very fast and you can use for veggie wraps, salads or sandwiches.
- Make a paper bag kite – see picture
- Transform old Wellington Boots into flowerpots
- Make a milk jug pencil holder
Don’t forget to take pictures from your up-cycled goodies, if you send them to: firstname.lastname@example.org I will publish them here. Thanks!
Paper Bag Kite
This is what you need;
1 Paper bag
1 Ice Lolly stick
1.5 m string
Ribbon in different colours
Pens for decoration
Step 1 Use the string and ice lolly stick and tie a knot around it
Step 2 Make a whole in the top of the paper bag and put the ice lolly stick inside
Step 3 Decorate the bag with pens
Step 4 Glue some ribbon at the edge of the paper bag
Step 5 Glue the edge of the bag together
Step 6 Play 😉
Still not convinced?
Try this Maritime Napkin Holder
Maritime Napkin Holder
Step 1 Wash, rinse and dry an old sauce glass
Step 2 Fill 1/3 with shells
Step 3 Cut old jeans and rap a string of it around the top of the glass
Step 4 Fill with napkins
Please Like & Share